Tips for Walking Safely in the Wintertime
- Wear footwear with heavy treads for increased traction.
- Make yourself visible to drivers by wearing brightly colored jackets or clothes.
- Consider wearing sunglasses to enable you to see through the bright snow reflection.
- Keep your hands out ready to steady yourself in case of slips.
- Look ahead where you’re going and anticipate obstacles like uneven ground and ice or puddles.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads that may tip your balance.
- Test slippery areas by tapping a foot before walking.
- Walk slowly and in small shuffling steps to prevent slipping.
- Walk along the grassy edges for maximum traction if the walkway is covered in ice.
Getting through the winter season without suffering a slip, trip or fall is not a difficult feat with the right preparation and presence of mind.