Everyone is talking about social media these days. It’s in the paper, it’s on the news…it even made it to the movies! People are taking advantage of this growing trend, and promoting their brand or their business through leading social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter.
Social media is changing how people do business
The web is often the first place people turn for answers. They use it during every stage of the purchase process for buying everything from a toothbrush, to a television, to a home. People are taking notice and increasing their online presence, especially on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Social media can range from communication to collaboration and includes websites like Twitter, Fcebook, Wikipedia, Instagram and more. Facebook and Twitter have seen immense growth in the last year and show no signs of stopping. Here are some interesting statistics:
- Facebook’s 35-54 demographic has seen a 276% growth rate over the last six months.
- Facebook is also seeing significant growth among the 55+ demographic, with a 194% increase over the last six months
- Twitter’s 18-24 and 25-34 groups make up almost half of their users
- Rapleaf reports that both LinkedIn and Facebook have over 60% of their users in the 18-34 age range.
- The Neilsen Company reports an 82% year over year (December 2009) increase in social media site users.
These staggering statistics should directly tie into how your home is marketed in 2016. According to the 2009 NAR Survey of Home Buyers and Sellers, 90% of home buyers used the internet to search for a home, with 36% of them going to the internet first. In the 25 to 44 age brackets, 96% reported using the internet. The survey also reports that the median age of home buyers on the internet is 37, which is the fastest growing group of people on Facebook.
The best way to reach people who use the internet to find their next home is where they spend their time on the internet – social networks.