Big Rapids Rental Property Choice Involves 6 Key Factors
Just about any investor on the lookout for a promising Big Rapids rental property has a number of assumed criteria in mind — often arrived at without bothering to sit down to list them. Remember, this is already a successful individual, usually with ample business experience — and always with the financial acumen to be able to make a substantial investment. For them, creating a written decision matrix really isn’t necessary.
Still, there’s a lot of literature on the web offering opinions on what are the most commonly agreed-upon factors for choosing a rental property. Quite a few “ Top 10”s. Going over them, it turns out that some are only slight variations on a single theme, so I’ve boiled them down to a “ Top Six.”
The first one is barely ever mentioned. It’s this:
1. Most investors have predetermined the price range that his or her Big Rapids rental property must fall into, but that can turn out to be a false step. If the goal is to garner the maximum return, it’s possible that some humbly-priced Big Rapids rental properties can actually turn a greater annual profit — even in absolute dollars — than some higher-end homes (particularly those that suffer extended periods without suitable higher-end tenants). So Number 1 is SET YOUR INVESTMENT GOAL. Cash flow return can be a very different goal than long term property appreciation.
2. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. This is the one that combines a half dozen factors, variously listed as Neighborhood, Proximity to Jobs, Amenities (parks, malls, gyms, movie theaters, public transportation hubs, etc.), Crime, Schools, and even Property Taxes. This factor might be chosen for convenience, as when a rental property investor wishes to be able to supervise the property; or for an expectation of value appreciation in a Big Rapids area which is gaining popularity. As everyone has had heard from time immemorial, L.L.L. is always important!
3. HEALTH OF THE PROPERTY. If the underlying structure and mechanicals have been intelligently designed and well maintained, this one is of no importance. If not, a thorough inspection with top-grade recommendations and cost projections is a must.
4. VACANCY RATES. The number of rental homes listed and the number of vacancies should be considered highly important for determining a promising rental property in Big Rapids. In newly expanding communities, sometimes you can spot a man parked near an intersection, clicking away on a counter as the autos pass by. He’s measuring traffic to see if the volume is great enough to support a gas station, or market, or mini-mall. The turnover of rental listings — how long rental properties stay vacant from week to week — can provide guidance about the same kind of information.
5. COMPETITIVE MARKET. The average rent amounts advertised for comparable properties can be the decisive factor for whether a rental home investment makes financial sense.
Of course, another factor that can make a big difference is the experience level of your Big Rapids Realtor. That’s actually key factor #6 — and (I hope) where I come in!